What is WWOOF?
WWOOF is a means to make friends, and to share and exchange with them.
Hosts give WWOOFers meals, accommodation and social engagement, in return for which WWOOFers help Hosts with what they do at their place.
It's simple. You give what you have, and you receive what you don't have.
There is no money paid between Hosts and WWOOFers.
Both Hosts and WWOOFers undertake to support each other, like friends and extended family do.
How to start
Follow the links on our website to "Become a WWOOFer".
General information about WWOOF -------
-- The meaning of WWOOF:
WWOOF is an acronym for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms.
-- About Hosts:
Hosts give meals and accommodations and social engagement to WWOOFers.
Many Hosts are organic farmers, as well as organic food shops, farm cafes, nature guides, environmental education centers, pottery and arts people, timber working places, pensions, and more.
-- About WWOOFers:
WWOOFers help Host with what they do at their place, usually for up to 6 hours a day for up to 6 days a week.
-- Going WWOOFing:
WWOOFing is about travel and adventure, making new friends, helping and receiving help, and learning in the process.
Don't mistake WWOOF for "work". If you inadvertently talk about "work" in relation to your WWOOFing, Japan immigration authorities may deem you to be potentially an illegal immigrant coming to Japan for the purpose of work, and on that basis deny you entry into Japan. holiday
-- Members only:
All people for whom Hosts are contacted must be current members of WWOOF Japan before Hosts are contacted.
Send an application and payment to join, or to renew your membership, on our website,
-- No money paid between Hosts & WWOOFers:
Both Hosts and WWOOFers pay an annual membership fee to the WWOOF Japan office. Hosts and WWOOFers do not pay each other. WWOOF is an exchange.
-- Traveling costs:
WWOOFers pay their own traveling costs to get to and from Hosts' places. Some Hosts help WWOOFers by offering to pick them up from nearby public transport.
Think as if you are taking a trip somewhere to stay with friends. WWOOFing is like that. You will need to make your travel plans, pay your fares, your insurances, etc. yourself. You will not need to pay for your meals & accommodation while you are WWOOFing at Hosts' places. But you will need to pay your food and accommodation expenses while you are travelling to and between Hosts' places.
WWOOFers must be people who are willing to reciprocate the accommodation, meals and social engagement that Hosts give them, and who are keen to receive learning and experience from Hosts in return. WWOOFers must read the WWOOF Japan website, and agree to abide by WWOOF rules.
Children 15 or under can go WWOOFIng when accompanied by an adult who is a current member of WWOOF Japan. People WWOOFIng alone must be at least 16 years. There is no maximum age limit.
-- One registration for one country:
To go WWOOFing in Japan, you must be a current member of WWOOF Japan. WWOOF membership is valid for the country in which it was registered. You cannot go WWOOFing in other countries using a WWOOF Japan membership.
A brief history of WWOOF -------
WWOOF began as an organic farming movement. However these days other kinds of places involved in different forms of sustainable lifestyles are becoming WWOOF Japan Hosts, thereby giving WWOOFers access to a greater diversity of experience and learning. Organic ways of thinking, and sustainable lifestyles, are a growing part of the WWOOF experience.
WWOOF originated in Europe in the 1970s, and has spread to more than 50 countries throughout the world. Some of the leading WWOOF groups today being Australia, New Zealand, and us in Japan. In mainstream farming, using chemicals for fertilization and pest and weed control saves farmers time. In growing organic crops, fertilization and pest control is done by hand, thus taking time, thus needing people in collaboration to get done. People in cities often lead stressful lives, and yearn for fresh air in natural environs, and to meet and collaborate with new and interesting people.
How to start WWOOFing in "Japan"?
What do I get with my WWOOF Japan membership? For the annual membership fee of 5,500 Japanese yen, you get a dynamically generated WWOOFer Permit which demonstrates to Hosts that you are a current member of WWOOF Japan. You are able to contact Hosts, ask questions about details important to you, while also explaining what you want to do, learn and see. Once you have identified a Host and made arrangements to WWOOF there, you can go and stay at that place and receive food and accommodation at no financial cost in return for helping them with what they do at their place. WWOOF Japan members receive the following - a door to a world of potential:
• Your own dynamically generated WWOOFer Permit.
• Your own Username and Password protected access to the members section of our website.
• Online access to comprehensive information about hundreds of Hosts all over Japan.
• Timely email support from us at WWOOF Japan.
• Details on each Host including; the kind of people they are, some content on their values and motivations, what they do, what kind of people they prefer as WWOOFers, how to get there, whether or not they will meet WWOOFers at nearby public transport, how they want to be contacted, if they are a farm what they grow and some information on their methods, the kind of help that WWOOFers will be asked to give Hosts, what WWOOFers should bring with them (ie. types of clothing, etc.), how long WWOOFers can stay, the kind of accommodation they have for WWOOFers, how many WWOOFers can stay simultaneously, some information about the surrounding area, whether or not children are accepted, whether or not they accept WWOOFers all year round, whether or not English and or Japanese language ability is necessary, whether or not they smoke, information on the food they eat, and more.
• Quality experiences that result from the care we take in monitoring applications from both WWOOFers and Hosts, and the regular contact we maintain with our Hosts.
Yes, all this for 5,500 yen. A genuine adventure in Japan awaits those who hold a WWOOFer Permit - - a unique and enriching experience at a fraction of the cost of a typical holiday!
Follow the links on our website to "Become a WWOOFer".
We sometimes post WWOOF Japan news on our Facebook page at: